Fisher Space Pen – Best Writing Pen for Travel

August 21, 2008

I love my collection of fountain pens. They ooze romance and the lore of good writing.  But add cabin pressure to that starry-eyed vision and it becomes one gooey, ink-smeared mess!  Amidst the friendly skies I’ve even had traditional roller ball and ink pens fail me, bringing an abrupt halt to a perfect time to write. Enter the Fisher Space Pen…

The Space Pen is not new to the market. It dates back to the October 1968 Apollo 7 mission and has been on display for years at the New York Museum of Modern Art.  Nonetheless, it is a tool that should be in every writer’s tool belt because not only is it a perfect day-to-day pen, but also it is a great travel partner.

The outer rims of Earth’s atmosphere and beyond have literally tested this pen.  Made with the astronaut’s lifestyle in mind – this pen is pressured with 35 lbs of gas per square inch. Now, I’m not certain what all that means, but the result is you are guaranteed to be able to write to your heart’s content while – sky rocketing, writing upside down, in 30° – 250° temps, or even underwater! Hey, you never know where your writing might take you.

Suggestion:  There are many different models (i.e. Bullet, Astronaut, Unique, etc). Be sure to order one WITH a clip or purchase a clip accessory so you can attach it to your journals.

Starting around $22, to order go to www.spacepen.com

Classic – Bullet Space Pen

Mars Space Pen

New Model – Trekker Space Pen

Be Sociable, Share!

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Clavo_R August 24, 2008 at 10:44 am

You made me laugh because that pen experience you had on the airplane is the same thing that happened to me. Thanks for the Space Pen tip!

Robin August 26, 2008 at 10:30 am

You’re welcome Clavo_R.

Scott November 1, 2008 at 4:09 am

I love these pens. The one at the very top of this page is the classic AG7 – the original pen taken on the NASA flights. The Bullet and Trekker have the same writing capabilites but aren’t used in space, if that’s of interest to anyone. I have an AG7 and Trekker, but to be honest, the later model Space pens – the Shuttle one, in particular – are probably the best for sustained writing. That is, of course, just my opinion. Also just in my opinion, I love your website. Cheers, Scott.

Robin November 3, 2008 at 10:28 am

Scott – thank you for the additional info and insight.

Cheers to you too and happy holidays.

Jim Singleton October 8, 2009 at 3:04 am

I have the Classic – Bullet Space Pen and truly love it, A friend gave it to me for driving him home in a rain storm, lol, maybe he stole it someplace
(Joking) “Great Pen, Wouldn’t go anywhere without it,, Thanks.

Robin October 8, 2009 at 10:02 am

Jim – We should all be so lucky as to have a friend who would part from their Space Pen. Both are a keeper :)

JJ Wylie April 4, 2010 at 2:23 pm

The Fisher Space Pen is locally produced about 15 miles from my house. I have visited their factory site, which is a nondescript warehouse in Boulder City, and the staff there are friendly and will give you a 25% discount for anything you buy while visiting.